Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Donating Your Brain

 Let the Dead Teach the Living!

Have you considered donating your brain? 

If you are wish to donate your brain, whether Healthy or With MS
Please Contact the UK MS Tissue Bank

The UK multiple sclerosis Tissue Bank has prepared some information for you in the format of answers to questions that we have often been asked. Please do take some time to read through the pages, it is vital that you feel you have sufficient information to make the important decision of whether to become a tissue donor. Also, please discuss your bequest with your family; it is essential that they do not have any objections to your wishes. If you or members of your family would like to discuss any aspect of tissue donation, you are welcome to contact Manager of the Tissue Bank by telephone on 020 8846 7324 or e-mail on ukmstissuebank@imperial.ac.uk.

retrieval of tissue

I have just found a comment from a Berieved Person wishing to Donote their Loved Ones Brains for Research. 

If you are considering donating your brain to Science...Albert Einstein did...you should consider this as early as possible and make your next of kin aware of your wishes. Please contact the Tissue Bank. If you do not live in the UK, there are many different brain banks around the world, or leave a country and I will find an address for you. This process needs ethically consent and be appropriately documented.

Remember: LIFE is a sexually-transmitted disease with 100% mortality.

17 comments:

  1. Australian MS Brain bank :)

    http://www.msbrainbank.org.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, my brain was the ONLY organ / tissue I did not want donated after my death, because I didn't want any weird transplant-type scenarios(!), but since my diagnosis, I have stipulated that my brain and spinal cord are to be donated to MS research. Anything I might be able to contribute to help understand this thing, I'm happy to do. After all, as George Eliot said, "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult to each other?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting..with a number of people it is their eyes that they don't want to donate

      Delete
    2. I understand that, and when I think of my eyes as a living person, I'm extremely queasy, but as I plan to be cremated after death, I'm quite keen that any useful parts of me be given to people whose lives they can improve. There really are so few significant things the average person can do in life, it has always been important to me to do the little things that can mean a lot.

      Delete
    3. That's from "Middlemarch," isn't it? My A' Level English lit exam from 1996 is coming back to me. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Swedish Brain bank please.
    /Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sara
      DrM&M got this email in response to your question

      Subject: Swedish Brain Bank

      Very important issue. We trying to start a brainbank. Hopefully it will be arranged soon. Meanwhile it is possible to contact us, we have recived tissue from other patients before and they have been very important in our research. Please provide the patient with my email.
      Yours

      Prof Lou Brundin
      Dept of Clinical Neuroscience, Div Neurology
      Karolinska Hospital 171 76 Stockholm Sweden
      lou.brundin@karolinska.se

      Delete
    2. Update from DrM&M

      There is already a Swedish brain bank which collects all kinds of
      brains. Not only MS brains, There is not a specific MS brain bank in
      Sweden yet.

      Professor Caroline Graff is responsible for the Swedish brain bank
      Carolines e-mail is : caroline.graff@ki.se.

      Delete
    3. Thank you I will contact both.

      //Sara

      Delete
  4. If you have MS, can you be an organ donor (to the living)? Or does it depend on the medication you've been on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - if you have MS you can go on the (UK) organ donor register and be a donor. However, you can't donate blood. The logic is explained quite well here http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/organ.jsp

      Delete
    2. That's actually upset me! I've given blood for 20 years and have been on the Antony Nolan bone marrow donor list for the same length of time, so I've just removed myself from both lists. As MS wasn't on the "cannot donate" list on their website, I've suggested to the blood people that they add it, because I was planning to resume giving blood in the new year.

      Delete
    3. Sorry it's upset you - I know it comes as a surprise to many people. As far as I am aware you can still remain on the Anthony Nolan list - the logic goes that in the case of blood donation the donor will not be able to know that you have MS. But in the case of Anthony Nolan I think that the person receiving the donation would be able to know that you have MS and make an informed choice. But it would be worth talking to them, as i know that they are desperate for people to go on the bone marrow list...

      DrRuth

      Delete
  5. Yes, there is such little urgency when it comes to treating MS on the NHS, yet when an MSer dies it's only then that extrapolating their brain and spinal cord becomes a tantamount priority. We're worth more dead than alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is unfair and remarkably cynical.

      Delete
    2. I agree with MD2

      One doc uses the machinery of potential organ donor to get rapid response....

      Delete
  6. I've already signed up for this but with Neuro Resource at the National Hospital. It seemed important to do.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that all comments are moderated and any personal or marketing-related submissions will not be shown.