Monday, 23 June 2014

Massage feel better

Schroeder B, Doig J, Premkumar K. The effects of massage therapy on multiple sclerosis patients' quality of life and leg function. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:640916. doi: 10.1155/2014/640916. Epub 2014 May 8.

Background. Massage therapy is a noninvasive treatment that many individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) use to supplement their conventional treatment. 
Objective. We hypothesize that massage therapy will improve the leg function and overall quality of life (QoL) of MS patients. Design. A two-period (rest, massage) crossover design was used. Twenty-four individuals with MS ranging from 3.0 to 7.0 on the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) received Swedish massage treatments for four weeks. Exercise capacity and leg function as well as QoL were assessed using the Six-Minute Walk Test (6MWT) and the Quality of Life . Assessments were measured before and after a massage period and a rest period where no massages were employed. 
Results. The results displayed no significant changes in 6MWT distances or QoL scores. However, the participants perceived improvement in overall health as expressed in written comments. 
Conclusions. Massage is a safe, noninvasive treatment that may assist MS patients in managing the stress of their symptoms. Future studies with larger sample size and cortisol measures are warranted.

So nothing conclusive here I am afraid, you feel better after a massage.....em yep, many would have felt better if our Team had won in the World Cup but does that have anything to do with the actual disease process.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah MD, was hoping England would go thru to knock out stage. That grouping was toughest in the tournament. U.S. had 3 pts. in hand until final seconds. Have to give Portugal credit, great finisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it's such a small sample, a short study and a one dimensional test it's not a surprise they didn't find anything of note.

    I find that in the first few hours after a massage - with a therapist used to MSers - I feel more balanced on my feet, and have seen an improvement in my balance score on wii fit (my only way of checking). The first night and following day I have rebound spasticity and some spasms but then I have several days where the effort I need to put into walking smoothly and keeping my balance is greatly diminished. I also wake up with less spasticity for around a week after a massage. I don't think my walking speed would have increased.

    I would be interested to know if there was a drop in my cortisol levels as a result.

    As for the football - England's defence was woeful and we lacked creativity

    ReplyDelete
  3. After years of conventional Swedish massage I discovered the active-stretching techniques of Thai Massage to be much more beneficial for longer lasting results. Thai Massage can be targeted or comprehensive. full Thai Massage can take up to 3 hours so can be more expensive but short targeted sessions are also very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that all comments are moderated and any personal or marketing-related submissions will not be shown.