Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Eating Poop the next treatment for MS:-)

Xu MQ, Cao HL, Wang WQ, Wang S, Cao XC, Yan F, Wang BM. Faecal microbiota transplantation broadening its application beyond intestinal disorders. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 7;21(1):102-111

Intestinal dysbiosis is now known to be a complication in a myriad
of diseases. Faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT), as a microbiota-target therapy, is arguably very effective for curing Clostridium difficile infection and has good outcomes in other intestinal diseases. New insights have raised an interest in FMT for the management of extra-intestinal disorders associated with gut microbiota. This review shows that it is an exciting time in the burgeoning science of FMT application in previously unexpected areas, including metabolic diseases, neuropsychiatric disorders, autoimmune diseases, allergic disorders, and tumours. A randomized controlled trial was conducted on FMT in metabolic syndrome by infusing microbiota from lean donors or from self-collected faeces, with the resultant findings showing that the lean donor faeces group displayed increased insulin sensitivity, along with increased levels of butyrate-producing intestinal microbiota. Case reports of FMT have also shown favorable outcomes in Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, myoclonus dystonia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. FMT is a promising approach in the manipulation of the intestinal microbiota and has potential applications in a variety of extra-intestinal conditions associated with intestinal dysbiosis.
There is no doubt that faecal transplantation has a part to play in medicine and the microbiota (microbes in the gut) is a hot topic. There is evidence it can influence the immune response as shown in animals

However it is easy to see how this can be sold to be the next fad treatment by some dubious people wanting to profiteer. 

A few days away to have your bowels cleansed and then your microbiota replaced.. a few thousand bucks please. Kerching. 

You would think this is a given that it works based on what scientists say but is it a "Whisper" where some basic ideas are made into a reality? One would want evidence based medicine, it is all anecdote at the moment.  

17 comments:

  1. Would be much more palatable with a bit of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post leads nicely on to another alternative treatment - hookworms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder where we are with the trials, I wonder what will happen?
      Will the people be producing egs and will the environment be safe?.

      What's happening with the whip worm study

      I can't help but remembering that most animal houses were full of parasitic worms in the 1980s-early 1990s and seem to remember that
      pinworms at least did not stop EAE, in fact I can remember counting the worms sometimes because the infestations were so bad. They have all been cleaned up now but if worm infection means immunosuppression I am not so sure.

      Delete
  3. Yes - well - my MS gives me the shits, or rather, it would if not for the MS related bowel problems where everything is slowed right down regardless of my fibre intake................
    And as for the MS related bladder problems - well they piss me right off...........
    However, if FMT was shown to work, I would probably give it a go - it would have to be better than living with MS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My uncle has very severe MS, and so far nothing has been helpful. We're at a point where I feel like anything is worth a try. I am so curious to know if FMT has been helpful with primary progress MS, and if so, where he can try treatment. (I've heard it's not available in the US yet?) Any additional info. is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear VLL
      There is no evidence that his is of any benefit to people with PPMS and Iam not sure if I can really make a logical reason why it is of useI am soory to say,so I am afraid I am unable to help.

      Delete
    2. l watched a programme on BBC TV - about FMT - and it was in US. A extremely ill lady with C-Diff was given the treatment and within days was well and back home. The British doctor who went to watch the procedure was very impressed and said she would like to see it used in UK. l have read that it works well for people with MS who have chronic constipation. l have had PPMS for 33yrs - but l suffer with diarrhoea - which is very distressing and 'rules' my life. OR ruins my life-style.

      Delete
    3. C diff is one thing as FMT is known to work for this treating PPMS is another thing.

      Delete
  5. Has anyone read Dr. David Perlmutter's book, Brain Matter? It is all about diet and FMT and how the gut micro biome may play a role in autoimmune diseases. I would be interested to hear some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is all about may as there is no proof it is of any use in autoimmunity. rather than write a book they could have tested the idea.

      Delete
  6. I am going to have the FMT procedure done for my MS in Nov. Wish me luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck.Should get rid of the C.diff but dont expect it to get rid of your MS. There is no proof that this will be of any value except for a bit of R&R whilst it is being done..
      Your pocket is being lightened however

      Delete
    2. Have you read the book? While there is not a lot of data, what is stated is documented science. And a recent study out of Japan backs this science upb also. For some unknown reason, MS is on a dramatic rise in Japan. Could it be from the increased crappy diets influenced by western culture? I agree that clinical trials are needed, but as long as it is safe, I think it is worth trying. I'll let you know how it goes. I can tell you this. I have taken gluten out of my diet and added fermented foods, and I do see a difference in my fatigue/foggybness. And it has only been 3 weeks. I just saw friends who I last saw in August and they noticed a change as well. You are what you eat has been known for quite some time. Maybe because it is easy to eat well it becomes the last thing people try. Plus no "medical doctor" is really schooled on nutrition so no one is ever told to try this first before they swallow drugs for help. Talk about having your wallet lightened! The medical profession today doesn't doctor the problem, just the symptoms. It really is a shame. This FMT procedure would be so easy to test. MS patients would line up to try this. It is safe, inexpensive, and would/could show results within months. Most trials go out 2 yrs. and that is typically just phase 1. It is so easy to be a skeptic. You don't have to do anything. The hard part is to take some control and push forward. Most people give up after hearing "no." No one will ever help themselves from their couch.

      Delete
    3. Alas no, I read for a living and am dyslexic and spend my trip to work sniffing someones armpit and not easy to hold a book on the tube and when I get home I dont have time the only time I get to read a book is on holiday...but this is not going to be my riveting read..I'll let ProfG read it.

      You think it is worth trying fine that is your choice but do it with your eyes open, They are charging you for a treatment that is unproven. Buyer beware.

      You can tell me how it works and it may work great but unfortunaetly it does not say it works until it is tested properly then in is probably meaning less because MS can disappear when they have done nothing.

      This is where registries are needed and you honestly say what alternative things you are trying . I am not being critical I would do try things myself but because it is not recorded properly this. If enough people did something and an it was monitored and it worked Wayy hey

      Could if be tested yes it could in about 6 months...will it get tested yes it will probably loads of times by many different MS Socieites maybe they should get on with it spend a million

      Delete
    4. Dramatic rise of MS in Japan? Could have something to do with a major nuclear incident. Could have been a problem even before the earthquake. It was a shambles, how do we know that the safety measures were in place prior to the disaster. Some of us ate very well prior to diagnosis. Fast food was practically non existent. Some of us are quite old.

      Delete
    5. Dear Fran Figarotta,

      Did you go for FMT? Do you have any update?

      Regards

      Delete

Please note that all comments are moderated and any personal or marketing-related submissions will not be shown.