A section from Atul Gawande's 'Being Mortal' that impressed me was the questions Palliative Care physicians ask their patients. These questions are equally relevant to people with chronic disease. Therefore I would encourage all of you to ask your neurologist to ask you these questions:
1. What do you understand your prognosis to be?
2. What are your concerns about what lies ahead?
3. What tradeoffs are you willing to make?
4. How do you want to spend your time if your health (disabilities) worsen?
5. Who do you want to make decisions for you if you can't make them yourself?
I sure this list can be expanded on; some of you may have some suggestions. What this list does it refocuses the doctor-patient relationship and puts the patients will and desires center stage.