Tuesday, 5 July 2016

NeuroSpeak: MS Symposium Aarhus

Still feeling the blues: down but not out! #NeuroSpeak #Brexit #Bremain #MSBlog

"Just returned from a long-weekend visit to Denmark. We had a celebratory, and long overdue, weekend with old friends in Aarhus. We spent the weekend in their cottage in a National Park; idyllic. As an extension to the weekend I visited the Department of Neurology, at Aarhus University Hospital, chaired a symposium on MS and gave a talk on the 'latest news in MS treatments and research'. This was my first talk to EU colleagues post the Brexit referendum and I felt very uncomfortable at the beginning of my talk. I felt slightly ashamed, I struggled to find the pride I usually have as being an advocate for British Academia, British Neurology and Barts-MS. I am still very restless with the blues post-Brexit. I understand how David Cameron must have felt last week when he met with the other 27 EU leaders. I am surprised at how calm and collected he was; he must have been feeling awful."



"I apologised for the Brexit result and mentioned to my EU colleagues that a legal challenge has been submitted in relation to the referendum. We suspect that new legislation will have to be drafted that will then have to be debated, and voted on, by both houses of parliament. I mentioned that based on this it is quite possible that our MPs will reject the referendum's advice and decide in the best interest of the UK and its peoples to stay in the EU. I explained to my audience how important staying in the EU would be for the NHS and particularly for people living with MS and other chronic disabling diseases. We are already beginning to see the impact of Brexit on NHS service provision, in particular staff retention."





CoI: multiple

8 comments:

  1. Are you (or is anyone else) doing studies on first or second degree relatives of PWMS in the UK? I have children - I would discuss enrolling in such a study with them, if anyone is doing this kind of study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to wait to get funding to do anything

      Delete
  2. From Bozoforgot, as I'm unable to sign into my account at the moment

    Re the Brexit: I'm fascinated by the idea of 'overturning the referendum' or rather, finding that the government didn't have the power in the first place to implement referendum results. The idea was discussed in the media even before the referendum was held - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

    If new retrospectively operating legislation is needed to 'overturn' or to 'not implement' the referendum results, then it's a little bit messier and perhaps open to more challenges.

    But from a purely indulgent philosphical musing, if the Brexit was the death of democracy, what does a challenge by three academics and a hot shot law firm represent? lol

    Other than Cameron's unyielding political embarrassments lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that politics, whether for or against Brexit, divides the MS community, instead of uniting them.
    Remember, England is a true democracy and the people have spoken, irrespective of your, or my political beliefs.
    I am also a physician, who also has MS. We have enough challenges in front of us, to improve the quality of the lives of all with MS.
    I appreciate this site, for it's contribution to all MS patients.
    Thank you for all your efforts on keeping us informed on what matters most:MS research at its forefront, with hope to the entire MS community for a better quality of life, and someday a cure for all with this disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the leave campaign won the day on a pack of lies. Is that democracy? May be you are for a Pied Piper democracy, but I am not; we need to put it right.

      Delete
    2. If Remain had won, the Leave camp would also be saying they won the day on a pack of lies. Exaggerations and scaremongering on both sides.
      Like most things, it boils down to money and ego, and those that have money become greedy and lose sight of other things which are also important.
      I don't have money, ms robbed me of my career aswell as my health and mobility. I am rapidly losing interest in reading of the anger/shame/disappointment of well paid 'professionals' moaning about the referendum.

      Delete
  4. "I understand how David Cameron must have felt last week when he met with the other 27 EU leaders. I am surprised at how calm and collected he was; he must have been feeling awful."

    ???

    No sympathy for David Cameron from me. He called for this EU referendum, for his own ends, and now that he doesn't like the result, he is leaving his post early. That may be a reason for being so calm and collected - it won't be his problem any more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have absolutely no sympathy for David Cameron and his chums. In 2010 he presided over a Government that removed the local migration fund for affected areas. Did not build new schools, homes and reduced University places. He brought this country into uncertainty with this referendum and his so called mates were only interested in their own careers. So how much will it cost the UK to replace the NHS workers leaving what they feel is a xenophobic country? God help us all if the woman with Grandchildren becomes Prime Minister.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that all comments are moderated and any personal or marketing-related submissions will not be shown.