#ClinicSpeak: personalised medicine is a confusing concept

Personalised vs. Precision vs. Value; can we have it all? #ECF2016 #ClinicSpeak #MSBlog

Thank you all for your comments about personalised medicine. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time preparing my talk for this afternoon. I not sure I am qualified to discuss this topic, but have tried to frame the issues around a document that was produced by the European Science Found in December 2012, called 'Personalised Medicine for the European citizen - towards more precise medicine for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease'. 


It is clear that if you are a pwMS then personalised is based on your world view and the issues are 'quite soft'; e.g. listening skills, understanding, being treated as an equal, self-management, etc.. In comparison if you are a HCP then personalised is really about biology and choosing the most appropriate treatment, etc. I think we as HCPs should stick to the term precision medicine and leave the personalised medicine to people with disease, or the users of healthcare services. I will let you now how my talk goes or not; I am seriously outside of my comfort zone with this talk. 

Personalised medicine ECF from Gavin Giovannoni

Labels: , , , , ,