Clinic speak: personal consultations

"Whilst lying on the beach and getting my vD levels up I have been thinking about MS and our blog and how it should evolve. My beach think has become an annual ritual; but more on this later when I highlight our research priorities for the new academic year that begins in September."

"As a result of the blog I get a lot or personal emails asking for advice about treatment and personal issues. Legally I am not allowed to respond to these emails. I had plans to start to a private e-medicine portal to deal with this issue, but I have had to shelve this idea as I simply don't have the time and resources to launch this service at this point in my career. In fact when I did due diligence on the idea I realised that it would probably be a full-time job and I would need to set-up a start-up company to raise finance to get the project off the ground. Another option was to give the idea away, but then I would not have control over its implementation. I need to have control over its design and implementation to make sure it achieves what I want it to achieve for MSers."

"A simpler solution will be to anonymise the email consultations and to respond to them generically on the blog under a sub-heading 'Clinic Speak'. I have used this sub-heading in the past when discussing clinical issues. Clinic speak postings will not directly report research, but will demonstrate how a practising neurologist, or MSologist, uses evidence to aid clinical practice and decision making. Before expanding the brief of this blog into the adoption and clinical translation of evidence, or research, I would appreciate your thoughts about this proposal?"

06 May 2013
Clinic speak: poor sleep due to bladder overactivity. Do you have night-time bladder problems? This post is for you. #MSBlog #MSResearch "Recently I have focused on sleep problems in MS. One particular problem is ...
14 Feb 2013
Clinic speak: DABDA or DABDAA. #MSBlog MS is emotionally exhausting! "Being a neurologist, who sees MSers, a clinical scientist, who studies the disease, and one who puts his head above the parapet, it is getting ...

Labels: ,